“La Mascotte”‘s creation seems to go back to 1889 when it’s wide countertop occupied the entire ground floor of a two-storey hotel, “The POMPEA.”
Its owner, the Père Teissier, had it raised by three floors, and named it the “Antinéa Hotel”, establishing his two sons there.
As suggested by its name, “Le Pompéa” was somewhat a “rendez-vous” hotel. It has hosted many figures of the time, such as Edith Piaf and her pianist in the 30’s, while Laurent and Méria were busy managing the café and its four billiard tables.
Mr. Laurent, who came from Fleurie, served the “vin nouveau” to its clientele composed of shopkeepers and local artists : Toppa, Lecomte, Gen Paul…
Then the Conte family succeeded him until september of 1965, when Maurice and Irène Campion settled there.
Today it is their son, Thierry, who perpetuates the Montmartro-Aveyronnaise tradition.